Thursday, November 12, 2020

This I Know -- there's a lot of stuff I don't know!

It is a cool, but sunny morning in the Ozarks. The current temperature is 39f (3.8c). I debated between coffee in front of the fireplace (it's 64f, 17.8c in the house) or out on the sunny deck. The deck won. Sweat pants, a long sleeved shirt, sweater, and socks. I'm a bit chilled but the sun feels good.

One of the areas of my personal growth is in recognizing how little I truly know. We all like to think that we are smart and know stuff, and we all do know some stuff. But there is a world of stuff that I don't know and I keep finding out that some of the stuff I know (knew) is wrong. Letting go and unlearning is hard.

I'm trying to read more and seek out certain areas of knowledge. I guess that's a pretty common approach -- find an interest, seek out information about it. Right now I'm keeping it pretty basic -- mind, body, spirit stuff. I figure I need to learn more about me before I explore other areas of knowledge. I'm looking at some pretty ancient teachings from the Far East and am finding them to be quite fascinating. I'm also realizing that my brain needs to re-adapt itself to learning from reading. I'm finding it difficult to read for learning for longer periods of time. I can read for pleasure (novels) for much longer than I can read for learning. Even reading for pleasure is more difficult than it used to be.  It could be that learning is just more difficult and I need to exercise my neuroplasticity. 
God forbid that I would ever want to stop learning or stop being able to learn!

I wonder what I'll learn today.

John  

1 comment:

Mike said...

What the internet has taught me is that there is too much to know. If anyone ever calls you a 'know it all', you can say 'that's impossible'.