Thursday, November 26, 2020

A Different Thanksgiving Day

I kind of like it -- the smaller holiday version.
Our day isn't going to be that much different than normal. We'll have a Thanksgiving Day meal at our daughter's and son in law's house. No travel for us, just a drive into Springfield. I am a little surprised at the number of people that are traveling and still planning larger gatherings, but pleased that many others are restricting their contacts with family.

I think Thanksgiving is a weird holiday. It's weird that we have a day set aside to be thankful. It's weird that we need to be reminded to be thankful. It's weird that we can be thankful for so much and yet still covet so much more and go right back to being the greedy, competitive society that we normally are on Friday.
Even the holiday origins in the US are pretty weird. Celebrating a re-creation of an initial Thanksgiving feast with natives of the land would be way cooler if the early settlers hadn't gone on to massacre the same natives just a couple of years later.

sigh

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't be thankful. I just think we should be thankful as a part of everyday life. And I know that many of you are and so the day is typically an opportunity to gather together as family and friends to feast and overindulge.

I hope that Thanksgiving 2020 is not too depressing for you. I hope that you will find that gratitude can be found even in these difficult times. Be safe. Be responsible. Be thankful.

John

No comments: