Saturday, November 14, 2020

An Empath?

I've never really considered that I might be an empath -- until recently.
When I look at the characteristics of an empath and examine myself through that lens, I actually have more of them than I would have guessed. I wonder if they've always been there and I've just ignored them or hidden them, or if maybe I'm growing into those characteristics as I age -- kind of a gentler, wiser, old man kind of thing.

I feel like I need to examine this a bit more carefully and I'm not sure why. My current reading/learning focus is more introspective. Perhaps that is what has me thinking about this. I'm certainly not someone that feels (literally) another's physical pain, but I've noticed more of an awareness of the energy of other people and the effect that being in their presence has on me. It could be that being aware of that energy as well as the motives and attitudes of others is more of a defensive, self-preservation skill than an empathetic one. 

Because this is pretty new to me, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. I'm certainly past the point of looking for a career where being an empath would serve me (or others) well. I don't really know how being an empath (or just being aware of it) might change how I interact with people. I don't know if being an empath is just a characteristic that one has like having brown eyes or a dark complexion. 

Maybe somebody that is an empath or has some more information on it can offer some counsel to a guy that is still trying to figure out who he is and how he fits (or why he often doesn't fit) into society.

Just some random thoughts on a Saturday morning...

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Time for empathic training.
https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ips/empathy-types.html