Tuesday, November 03, 2020

A Day Like Any Other

Okay, so it's not exactly like any other day. It is Election Day in the United States.

But for the most part...
It's morning coffee on the sunny (but cool) deck.
I'm doing the daily blog thing and listening to some morning news.
I'll do a little internet surfing and maybe a little devotional reading.
After a little morning exercise (emphasis on little), I'll head out to do the volunteer chaplain thing at Mercy Hospital in Aurora.
I cast my ballot last week, so today will be pretty much like every other day.

I imagine that I'll be watching news coverage tonight -- which is not like any other day.

Tomorrow morning I expect to have my coffee on a sunny, but cool deck. I'll do the daily blogging thing and listen to some morning news. I'll do a little internet surfing and a little devotional reading, etc., etc.

I don't want to minimize the impact of today's election.
Neither do I want to pretend that there will not be some negative (possibly violent) reaction to the results from today's election. 
But regardless of the presidential winner and the legislative winners, The United States will continue on. The peaceful transfer (or continuation) of power is a hallmark of the US. In spite of words that have been spoken to the contrary, the people of the US still speak and our voices will still be heard and recognized. We may witness a child-like tantrum. There may not be a cordial letter left in the Resolute Desk, but there will be a transfer of power if that's the way the election goes. 

If you have followed me for very long or know my heart and character, you know how I voted and what my hopes are for this country. You also know that next week, next month, next year will find me still looking for ways to serve during the pandemic, smoking an occasional cigar, and working on making my little corner of the world a welcome place for anyone that drops in. 
If you will work on your little corner of the world in a similar manner, we can make that welcome feeling available to more people in more places around the globe. 

If you are a reader in the US, my hope for you today is peace.
If you are a friend in another country, my hope for you is peace.
And for all of you -- I wish you love.

John 

 

No comments: