Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Life: another way of preaching

I've been out of touch for the past week or so. Since Sunday (and ending today) I've been on the road for a few hours as I travel to Richland MO for a short revival. Last week I spent time preparing for this weeks messages, so it has been more than a week since I've posted.

In the past year, I've seen my own professional ministry decline a little. I have a feeling that will continue to be the case. It seems good to share messages that encourage lay ministries as that is also where I seem to be headed. As I shared stories from the Bible this week, I was reminded of how easily Jesus shared the Good News -- he shared it as he lived it! I was also reminded of my own, simple, real life experiences that touched people with love and encouragement.

Even as I sometimes feel that I have have fewer opportunities to preach and teach The Word, I still get calls from unexpected places and in unexpected ways. Retirement from the air traffic gig has certainly given me more freedom to examine my future ministry role. I will probably end up just being another follower of Jesus that goes to a church on Sundays and does his best to live out the teachings of Jesus throughout the week. As much as I enjoy preaching from the pulpit or teaching in a classroom, I think the simple day-to-day acts of love and encouragement are where the gospel is best shared. I have heard from several people about words or actions that greatly encouraged them along the way; things I said or did without purposely trying to encourage them. Often, I've heard about it long after the moment passed.
It's a good reminder that what we say and do matters. It may be years before we are made aware of the impact of our deeds (or we may never know), so be aware of the power of your words today.
Be loving and kind.
Be merciful and full of grace.
Be Jesus to those you meet.

John <><

No comments: