Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Taking care of planet Earth

The rural Midwest is far behind in the move to recycle and be more environmentally aware. There isn't a lot of encouragement to reduce single use plastics or to recycle materials of any kind. There are a few centers where you can take recyclable goods, but no recycling pick-up services that I am aware of.

Admittedly, I'm also far behind in what I should be doing to take care of planet Earth.
I haven't set up recycling bins at home for plastics, glass, or paper. I have reduced my use of single use products, often skipping a drink when I'm out if I didn't bring a reusable cup with me. When I do purchase a beverage out, I try to save the plastic bottle or aluminum can until I'm at a place with a recycle bin. I'm also skipping drinking straws when we eat out (when I think of it).

I've been doing more grocery shopping at places where you bring your own bags. Aldi is one place where I bring a couple of collapsible cardboard boxes and a few paper bags. Lucky's Market uses paper bags and gives a 10 cent rebate for each bag you bring. I generally donate the rebate to one of the charities they have listed (an option they give you). I try to keep a few paper grocery bags in the car in case I make an unplanned stop for a few things. I will sometimes walk to the store if it's just for a few things. (1.75 miles round trip to the closest grocery store)
I really need to do more.

I've also been trying to reduce energy consumption at home. We generally keep the house cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer than most people and will avoiding using the a/c as long as it doesn't get too hot during the day and the nights allow us cool things down. Eventually, the Midwest humidity will play a part in the decision to use the a/c. 

Where do you live and what are your options for living a greener lifestyle?
Is there one more small thing you can do to reduce waste?
I'm ashamed of the planet's condition that we are leaving to future generations.
We need to do better.

John <><

2 comments:

AuntieAllyn said...

Our little rural community doesn’t encourage recycling either, but they do have some bins at the city “shop” where you can take recyclables (though I’m not confident that they’re actually recycled). I like the idea of reusing items and try to do so as much as I can, but I could and should do better.

Mike said...

With China not accepting recycling anymore, some municipalities here are canceling their recycling programs. So far we haven't.