Sunday, April 07, 2019

Few Answers; More Questions

One would think that reading through the Bible (again) would give answers to life's big questions.
Not long ago, I wrote about reading the Bible with fresh eyes and trying to understand it as a new reader might. It is difficult to set aside old biases and teachings, but a fresh approach and checking out old stories to learn something for myself is ... well, refreshing.

But rather than finding answers, it seems that I'm coming up with more questions.
For example:

The other day I was reading about Jesus on the cross. In Luke's account (Chapter 23), Jesus says from the cross, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

My first question is -- Who is them?
Is it the Roman soldiers that were following orders as they crucified him?
Maybe the priestly council that brought about the judgment?
Or was it the crowd that yelled "Crucify him" over and over again?
Was it everyone?
Maybe even all of humanity?

The second question is -- Are they forgiven and therefore in heaven?

This brings about a very serious matter. Everything I've been taught about claiming Jesus as Savior says that we need to know that we've sinned (they didn't), we need to acknowledge Jesus as Lord (again, they didn't), and we need to ask for forgiveness (again, they did not)!
Mind blown!

Could it be that God's grace and forgiveness goes so far beyond what I can imagine that I've (we've) got this whole salvation thing wrong? What if it isn't as simple as ABC (Admit. Believe. Confess.)? What if it's simpler?
What if Jesus came to show us just how great God's love is and the only way that he could do that is to forgive us even when we haven't asked for it and don't deserve it?
What if we are forgiven simply because God loves us and delights in forgiving us and Jesus came to demonstrate that love so that we could love others in the same way?
Romans 5:8 says that God demonstrates his love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

I'm not suggesting that you take my word for this way of thinking. I am suggesting that you read the Bible for yourself and try to figure out what God is trying to tell us. The lessons that I see over and over are that we are to love God the best way we can, and love our neighbors as ourselves.

What if God's love is enough?

Just wondering...

John <><

No comments: