Monday, December 31, 2018

Going back to The Gospel According to John

Quite some time ago I went through a daily reading of The Gospel according to John and posted my thoughts on this blog. Beginning next Sunday (Jan 6), I'll be doing it again; this time with our Venues' high school students. We'll do one chapter per day for 21 days.

I haven't yet worked out the format of my daily summaries.
I'm thinking something along the lines of:
     an overall summary of the chapter
     something that caught my attention
     my favorite verse or part of the chapter
     and a question or challenge inspired by the day's reading

I also haven't decided if I'll look back at my old posts. While that might be helpful, I'm also thinking that looking at each chapter with a fresh approach might serve the students in a better fashion.

I want to invite you to join us.
If you already read your Bible on a daily basis, perhaps you'd consider adding a chapter a day.
If you don't read the Bible regularly, this will be a relatively simple way to begin to look at the life of Jesus and what he teaches us.

For non-Christians or non-Bible readers, I generally read the ESV (English Standard Version).
The Contemporary English Version (CEV) and The Message (MSG) are also good for nontraditional readers. YouVersion.com or BibleGateway.com are a couple of sites where you can choose your translation of choice for reading. Both have apps you can download to your phones.

Perhaps 2019 will be a year that we can each draw closer to God. As we each grow closer to God, we also grow closer to one another.

John <><

No comments: