Friday, December 28, 2018

Opinionated, but not unkind.

My goal for 2019 will be to share my thoughts and opinions in a way that is not unkind.

I know that has often not been the case in the past, and I'm sure that it will be challenging in the future. But we do need to be able to share differing opinions without alienating everyone that thinks differently than we do.

One of the things I'll be doing is asking more questions:
How did you arrive at that opinion?
Where did you hear that? or What is your source?
Have you considered that (an opposing view) might also be valid?
If you had new information, would you be open to changing your mind?

I want discussions rather than arguments. I want us to be less influenced by what people say and more informed by knowing the facts. I want for us to be motivated by knowledge rather than intimidated by fear.

I know that we all bring our own biases to the table and are often more interested in information that confirms our position rather than information that challenges our beliefs. Admitting that we have been wrong, misinformed, or that there may be a better way is difficult, but necessary if we are to evolve as a society and solve the common problems that we face.

I'm asking you to join me in this cause -- at least in your comments or responses to this blog or on my other social forums. I'm also encouraging you to do so on your social forums, including personal interactions (real conversations with people). We are better than the hateful examples often being set by politicians and the media.

I am not going to be silent, nor am I asking you to be silent.
I am expecting us to be kind.
And I am giving you permission to call me out when I cross the line.

Let's make 2019 a year of kindness.

John <><

2 comments:

allenwoodhaven said...

Excellent idea!

Mike said...

HEY! Last post a political rant, this one 'let's be kind?' I'll try, but you do realize we are devolving as a society right now. I guess niceness has to start with somebody. ...... You first.