Monday, December 03, 2018

Moving from "Bah! Humbug!" to "Merry Christmas!"

Christmas Eve is just three weeks away and I can't say that I am "in the Christmas spirit" yet.
In truth, I'm more the bah humbug sort of guy.

I am amused by Christians that make such a big deal of Christmas being about the birth of Jesus while fully immersing themselves in the secular aspects of the holiday. I am frustrated that we don't do more to talk about God's love during the other eleven months of the year and act like Jesus was really born on December 25th and so it's a big deal. I'm not sure that I really get the whole idea of needing a special day to celebrate His birth.

Don't misunderstand me. I rejoice that Jesus was born; that God became man.
I am thrilled that God loves me and that Jesus died for me.
But how much can we really gain from this infant Jesus if we fail to learn the lessons of the man Jesus?

Did I mention I'm more the bah humbug sort of guy?

In any case, I went looking back at some Christmas posts from years ago in hopes that the Spirit of Christmas Past (see what I did there, with the bah, humbug/Spirit of Christmas Past?) would inspire a more Christmas-y attitude in me.

Here's one from eight years ago today.
It's not very festive, but it does make you wonder...

Merry Christmas
John <><

No comments: