Friday, September 29, 2023

Friday

It is Friday, the 29th of September. 
Just before sunrise this morning the moon reached its full phase -- the Harvest Moon. 
The sun, the moon, the stars continue in their seasonal dance and we (in the Northern Hemisphere) move ever closer towards winter. 

We continue to have nice days to close out September (90F today, 32C) and I'm sure October will be nice, as well. Although the hummingbirds have mostly gone (I see an occasional visitor at the feeder) and the Monarch butterflies are also migrating southward, I am enjoying the warm days while they last and getting some new flower beds ready for spring. I'm not sure which is more therapeutic -- the working in the dirt, the promise of the coming beauty, or the actual spring/summer flowers.
Because of the size of this particular flower bed, it is a crazy amount of work and the project has grown from its original plan. A neighbor was walking to get his mail the other day and asked if this is a "Honey do" project. 
Nope. It's pretty much because I like flowers.
To be fair, the growth of the project (about doubling the work) is Chris's part. The 100'+ (30m) flower bed will now include a picket fence. It's taking a long time because I'm an easy boss. I let myself start work late in the morning and quit early in the afternoon. I take frequent breaks and long lunches.
The same neighbor (day 3 of walking by) asked if I ever thought that I should have just hired someone to do the job. 
Not really. I have more time than money and more brawn than brains, so...

Well, I'd better get to work. The day is warming up and I hope to have the last of the post holes finished this morning. I probably should have posted before pics and documented the progress, but I am sure to post finished pics with plenty of spring summer blooms next year.

Dig in the dirt.
Walk, run, or paddle through nature.
Enjoy the weekend.

John

No comments: