Wednesday, June 15, 2022

The Quiet Life

I'm up a little earlier than usual this morning. I'll probably try to get a little work done as I continue to try to put together a new flower bed. It will be another hot day in the Ozarks of SWMO. I ripped out what I had started last year and the new project has turned out to be more than I expected it to be. 
It's a good thing I don't have any deadlines to meet.

This retirement gig and living in a rural setting is a pretty good life. There are many that might be bored or challenged by the relative isolation, but I'm doing okay with it. I should be more active and may try to go kayaking later in the week, but even that is a solo activity (at least for me). I need to see if the inflatable kayak will fit on the motorcycle. It may be too bulky to haul that way. That's not necessarily bad as kayaking and biking have very different dressing requirements.

I've been finding myself caught in the cycle of watching endless reels on Facebook and Instagram. Most of them are senseless, but seem to have enough of an entertainment factor to keep me moving to the next one. I think it's weird that people have made making and posting reels a thing that they do daily. I guess as long as there are morons like me that will watch them, they will keep doing it. 

I'm going to take a little break from the social media thing. It may be more of a reduced interaction than a complete shutdown. I'll keep up with my news feeds on Twitter, but try to skip the memes and reels of Facebook and Instagram. I may post a pic or two, but my plan is to try to be more productive than I have been. I've cleaned out my Instagram account by getting rid of several accounts that I once found interesting, but no longer need to follow. I also eliminated the followers that I don't really know or don't really share interests with.
I have become a pretty non-productive member of society. I'm not really a burden in any way as my retirement pension, savings, and Social Security are allowing us to live this leisurely, non-productive life. 
Our landscaping adds a little beauty to the neighborhood, and the flowers are good for the birds and the bees, but that's pretty much my contribution to the world around me.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch today. Other than a trip to the grocery store and to the garden center at Lowes, that will probably be my only actual personal interaction with anyone for the rest of the week. Keeping to myself may actually be the best thing I can do for the betterment of the world around me.

If you need me, I'll probably be on the deck with a little classic rock playing in the background, a cool drink next to me, and a book in hand.
Life is good.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"my only actual personal interaction with anyone for the rest of the week"
You lucky son of a gun!