Thursday, June 23, 2022

Does Nothing Well

I've never needed much practice at doing nothing and have occasionally excelled at just how well I am able to do it. It's been a while since I've managed a full day of doing nothing, but I think I'm up for the challenge.
It's been said that the difficult thing about doing nothing is knowing when you're finished. I guess you're finished when you start doing something, duh!

Of course, it is necessary to define nothing.
Is reading doing nothing?
I suppose if you have to read (like for school or something) then reading is doing something. If you are reading to avoid doing something, then reading is doing nothing.

We have to eat, so is fixing dinner doing something?
That's a little trickier. I think I'm out of range for Uber Eats or Door Dash, so it's either go out, fix something, or go hungry. I suppose doing something or nothing is a little subjective when it comes to eating--fixing a sandwich vs preparing a meal.

The newly planted flowerbeds will need watering and that is definitely doing something. 
Do I do something before I do nothing, after I do nothing, or sometime in the middle if I need to take a break from doing nothing?

Thursday is Barchurch day (although I'm not sure that barchurch really works anymore). 
The Venues at 425 has moved away from anything resembling church and seems to be more of a social gathering with some sort of community betterment or social justice kind of message. It's not a bad thing and topics are generally interesting and well presented. It's just a little false advertisement to continue calling it church. 
On the other hand, it seems that most churches today are little more than social clubs anyway, so...

There is a local Bike Night at a bar that is only a mile or so from the house. I could drop in there for a little bit, but I only know a couple of people there and hanging out at a bar really isn't my thing. Maybe I'll just stay home and do--well, nothing.

I think most people need practice at doing nothing.
How do you do nothing?
Do you do it well?
Or do you need more practice?

John

No comments: