Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Youthful Arrogance vs Old Man Wisdom

I saw this tweet posted on my cousin's Facebook page.



She didn't write it, but she's a pretty sarcastic person so she could have.
I found it especially funny because I was just commenting about how there are so many young people coming up with and sharing great pearls of wisdom on everything from raising children to just being a better more thoughtful and positive person.

I'm not saying they shouldn't share their wisdom with others, it just seems funny how sure they are that they have all the answers to life. My poor generation and all of the others that have gone before us were doomed to living life in our ignorant, and unenlightened state of existence. 
To be fair, I was pretty much the same when I was in my 20s and 30s. We all probably were. Fortunately, we didn't have the internet and social media (WE hadn't invented it yet) to showcase our unearned arrogance to the world. 

Honestly, I have a great deal of hope in the coming generation of young adults. I do hope they do a better job of living life than my generation. God knows we have messed things up. The earth, the political climate, the inequitable wealth distribution, the social injustices, --I could go on for a long time. 

I doubt that any of them want to hear from a grumpy old guy that spends his days smoking cigars and sipping 10 year old bourbon (yes, that's what I'm doing right now). Hell, most of my own peers probably don't care what I think. But wtf. Feel free to scroll on by.

Here's my wisdom for the day.
Maintain an attitude of gratitude. 

I am well aware of the privilege that allows me the freedom to sit and sweat on my deck (it's 92 in the shade), enjoying a good Nicaraguan cigar and sipping bourbon while spewing nonsense that only a few will read. 
I spent a couple of hours this morning working in the yard, and we went into town for lunch and got to chat with a couple of old neighbors. I pretty much get to choose what I do or don't do--every single day.
Yesterday I took a short motorcycle ride to meet Chris and some friends for dinner.
Today we'll have a good meal at home. I don't worry about having enough to eat. In fact, I have more than enough
...and I am grateful.

I do wish I was more kind.
I'm learning kindness (still).
I wish that filter thing between my brain and my mouth worked better than it does and wouldn't say stupid things (or type them out in social media comments) as often as I do.
Sometimes I wish it was easier to make friends, but then I think I'd have to be around people more often and realize how grateful I am that that isn't the case.
I am grateful that I'm not as arrogant as I once was and that I can make allowances for those that are still learning the difficult lessons of life.
I wish I had learned them earlier.

It's become easier to admit mistakes and learn lessons.
It's become easier to make allowances for others that are still struggling with knowing everything and having to deal with us old fools.
When it comes to people skills, I'm a bit of a slow learner.
When it comes to retirement, I'm doing okay.

John

No comments: