Friday, February 25, 2022

According to John, Chapter 5

Oh boy!
Another chapter filled with some deep theology.
And I am no theologian! 

In the first part of the chapter Jesus addresses how the Jews had taken the Law so severely that they used (or abused) it to the point of making it more important than taking care of each other. The saying "...too heavenly minded to be of any earthly good," comes to mind. 
When our laws, rules, practices, or traditions get in the way of us caring for one another, it's time to re-evaluate what we are really doing and what we are truly believing. 

The second part of the chapter is the deep stuff.
You really need to read this for yourself. 
Jesus talks about his authority and purpose and where they come from. Even though he designates the Father and the Son as separate persons, he really indicates that they are of the same mind and share the same purpose.
Jesus teaches that Moses (The Law) is our accuser. Paul writes about that in Romans.
I suppose it comes in pretty handy to have Jesus both as our judge and as our advocate.

I'm really not up to taking the hours of prep time that I would take to prepare a sermon or to teach a lesson on this stuff. I'm just reading along with the rest of you and trying to figure things out as I go. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and questions on what John is writing about and on what Jesus is teaching. I can't promise any answers to your questions, but might be willing to share some ideas or at least share my own thoughts. 

It occurs to me that I should probably include a link to the passage or chapter I'm writing about.
Here is John 5.
I'll try to remember to put this at the beginning for future posts.

I really don't know if very many are reading along. Post hits are about the same. No comments (or few comments) is also about the same. One or twos chapters per day is pretty easy for devotional Bible reading and a good way to get in the habit of daily reading and thinking about how we (as Christians) might become more like the Christ we claim to follow.
I do encourage your thoughts or questions. Maybe someone else is thinking the same thing or has an answer to share.

John

No comments: