Friday, February 05, 2021

Random Things

This morning I had to retrieve my tablet/laptop from my backpack in order to write. It's been there since my Monday night shelter duty, so I obviously haven't been spending as much time with the social media stuff. Oh sure, I still use my phone for that, but not as much as I have in the past. Even though I've narrowed my "friends" list enough to make it a more pleasant experience, it can still be pretty time consuming and is usually pretty non-productive time.
______

Wednesday morning I received my second shot of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine. Although I had no side effects (other than a little soreness at the injection site) from the first shot, this one left me with some fatigue, chills, and an all-day headache that started about 12 hours after receiving the shot. All-in-all, it wasn't too bad--just enough to be a nuisance and cause me to lie around doing nothing all day.
______

At some point during the week, I recognized that it is February and I wasn't putting out a haiku every day like I have for the past several Februarys. (Writing that makes me wonder why it isn't Februaries instead of Februarys. Hmmm...just checking with Google -- it's either!) For those that care, February is National Haiku Writing Month (NaHaiWriMo) and offers the challenge of writing a haiku every day. The traditional Japanese haiku is a little different than the Americanized version of three lines consisting of five, seven, and five syllables.
______

We are about to experience another cold snap due to a split in the polar vortex. Here in Southwest Missouri, we will have one or two days where the daytime highs will remain below freezing, but we aren't expecting any snow or freezing precipitation this weekend so the super spreader Super Bowl parties can continue as planned. The real cold won't hit us until Tuesday. I'll be happy if Kansas City wins, but I'm not a big fan so it really doesn't matter. I may or may not watch any of it. The Blues' weekend games are postponed, so ... maybe.




Then again, I might just enjoy the fireplace and a good book.

Enjoy your weekend!
John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Haiku? It's only the 5th of February. Go back and edit Feb 1st, then add 2 to 4.
I may use that toon on FB.