Sunday, May 31, 2020

Random Thoughts on Racism

I don't think it's just me. I think a lot of us in the US are wondering how we have failed so badly at racial relations. I honestly don't have my thoughts (nor my emotions) organized enough to put together a decent post so I'm just going to share a few thoughts.

When I see the systematic racism in our country's highest level of government I wonder -- Are there more racist people in our country than non-racists? How do we have so many racist elected and appointed government officials? How do we have so many racist law enforcement officers?

Why does it take so much money to run for public office in the US?
The advances in technology and communication should make it less expensive to make our messages known, but it now takes millions of dollars to run for a seat in Congress. Is it any wonder that most neighborhoods and communities lack real representation in government?

Why have so many Christian people listened to the message of hate from people rather than the message of love from the Christ they claim to follow?
Is indifference to oppression worse than hate? Is that how we go about our privileged lives, acting as moral, righteous people while others are treated with hate and oppression?

As I'm writing this, it occurred to me that I'm wearing my Venues' Love Your Neighbor t-shirt. I took it off to take a picture of the back.



Do you see it?
It's there near the bottom.
Your RACIST neighbor.

I've seen social media post telling racists people to unfriend them or be unfriended by them and I wonder -- How am I supposed to show love to people that hate?

I want to disengage to contemplate and figure things out.
I want to stay connected to feel the pain of the oppressed, the love of those that care, and yes -- even the hate of the oppressors.
Like the world around me, the world inside me is in a bit of chaos. I need to calm the chaos inside before I can help with the chaos outside.

John

5 comments:

Mike said...

If I buy a shirt, can you bring it with you on your next trip through St. Louis? I was looking at the website and all I saw was grey and no color choice. I like your blue one.

John A Hill said...

It's actually grey. Must just be the lighting.
And yes, I can.

Mike said...

Sounds like a meet at Ted's is coming up.

John A Hill said...

Sweet!

Mike said...

I ordered the shirt. On the second address line I put 'The Venues - Attn: John Hill'. That should get someones attention to get it to you.