Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Coffee Treat

A couple of years ago, my daughter gave me a home-made book of coffee recipes and a gift bag filled with ingredients to prepare the drinks contained in the book. This morning I decided to venture from my normal black pour-over and treat myself to a modified version of Thai coffee.


I still used a simple pour-over brew method and I still prepared an entire pot. For my daily coffee I grind 50 grams of coffee and use 1 quart of water. Today I added a stick of cinnamon to the water, as well as a tablespoon or so of honey, then heated it to just about boiling. I use a simple 1 quart pot without any temperature gauge. If I do let the water reach a full boil, I might let it sit for a minute before pouring over the ground coffee.
This morning I sprinkled the coffee grounds with the cardamom and poured the sweet, cinnamon water over. I added a bit of heavy cream -- delicious!

I find the sweetened condensed milk to be a little too sweet for my taste, so I use a bit of honey and cream. Also, I generally have honey and cream on hand. Made with decaf, it would be excellent with dessert. Add a shot of Kahlua or your spirit of choice and drink it as dessert! Or skip the sweetened condensed milk and pour it over a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

The recipe has you sharing the experience with a friend and this is a wonderful drink to experience with someone else. Because I have few friends that can sit and enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee, I'll enjoy this pot solo.

Have a great caffeinated day!
John

No comments: