Monday, November 05, 2018

Nov 5: Thinking about tomorrow

I'm sipping my Monday morning coffee and thinking about tomorrow.
I'd like to say that I'm hopeful, but I guess I'm a little too cynical to have great expectations at this point in our political cycle. In fact, I'm pretty certain that a great number of eligible voters will NOT be voting this election.
I hope that I am wrong.

One of the things that I like about midterm elections is that a vote is a vote and the candidate that gets the most votes wins -- period. There is no Electoral College that redistributes votes according to states population. In many ways, congressional elections can be a more accurate picture of the voting demographic of our country. Both congressional houses are pretty evenly split. It is unfortunate that our parties see even a small majority as a license to overrun the other party and forego the idea of cooperation or collaboration of any kind.

The St. Louis Blues will be skating tomorrow night against the Hurricanes. I'm pretty sure that I'll be watching them rather than stressing over incoming election results. I know that I'll be checking the news on my laptop or phone during the game and between periods, but I've learned not to allow things that are out of my control to cause me much stress.
I'll do what I can do -- I'll vote.
I hope you will, too.

John <><

2 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm hopeful; but will refrain from watching the returns. Let be be over, however it goes.

Mike said...

Wednesday can't come soon enough.