Friday, November 16, 2018

Nov 16: An Attitude of Gratitude

I really enjoy our midweek church services at The Venues Downtown.
The venue is Ernie Biggs Piano Bar and is casually referred to as Bar Church.

You can come in and grab a free soft drink and snack (and leave a donation if you want) or purchase a drink from the bar, sit down and enjoy some music from a local talent, and then hear a good message from Rev. Dev! (The past few weeks, I've been bringing in a coffee from the Mudhouse across the street.) With Thanksgiving just around the corner and being in between message series, last night Devin presented a message on living with an attitude of gratitude.

In addition to the scripture texts on the benefits of gratitude and detriments of complaining, Devin used a number of secular studies that show just how much we gain from being gracious towards one another. Gratitude reduces stress and all of the stress related maladies, including weight gain! It benefits our physical well being, our emotional well being and our spiritual well being (Okay, the spiritual well being wasn't a part of the secular studies.)

I've never kept a gratitude journal, nor have I been purposeful about being thankful. Perhaps I need to begin. Nobody likes to be around a grumpy old man. Nobody likes to listen to other people complain. And nearly everyone likes being thanked for something they have done.

I don't know if I'll keep my gratitude journal on a social media forum or if I'll just keep it as a meditative quiet time sort of thing. I don't know if I'll begin my day with meditating on things for which I am thankful or if I'll choose to end my day that way. I don't even know if I'll set aside a regular time or practice for journaling.

I ended the evening get together by thanking the musicians that were there last night and spending a few moments getting to know them. I spoke with a few other people and I am truly grateful for the relationships we are building in our new community of believers.
I encourage you to find a few moments to pause and reflect on someone or something for which you are thankful. Maybe you'll want to call someone or send them a message of thanks for what they mean to you.

In being thankful, I think you'll find a moment of peace -- a moment of rest in an otherwise very hectic world.

John <><

3 comments:

Mike said...

The Venues Downtown sounds like your kind of place. Maybe this is why you were asked to move on from your other church. This place could add 10 years to your life.

John A Hill said...

I've been thinking the same thing, Mike!

Kevin Gilmore said...

Nice post, John. That sounds like my kinda church.