Sunday, September 04, 2022

Who Are Your Friends?

I've been considering whether or not it's time for another social media friend evaluation. It would seem that I've gained a number of Facebook friends that I have relatively little in common with, along with IG and Twitter followers that I have even less commonality. In truth, I don't mind the IG and Twitter followers as much since I don't have to follow them back, but I try to keep from having a bunch of bots and fake accounts following my feeds. 

There are a number of Facebook friends that I no longer "follow" but have remained my friends because I generally don't like their posts (which is different than not agreeing with them), but still consider them friends and secretly hope that they still follow me though I expect they don't for the same reasons. 
I also have a growing number of "friends" that know me from church but I don't really know (also true for old school mates and other groups).
And then there are the people that I really don't have (or expect to have) contact with any more. It's not that I don't like them or wouldn't be friendly towards them if we did meet; it's just unlikely to happen.

Anyway, I've long ago ceased using social media as a marketing tool for preaching or magic and have already dropped most of those contacts from my feeds. I realise that my social accounts probably shape other people's thinking about the same way their posts shape mine--little to none at all. 
As I work on cutting back on my social media time, I'll probably also cut back on the contact list. I don't mean to offend anyone and this isn't that I don't want to be friends or friendly. It's just a little self care. It will probably be a poolside project in the coming weeks.

How do you determine your social media friends/followers?
Everybody that asks or super selective?
Are your social media accounts primarily for you to share your posts or to see what others are sharing?
I'm curious.

John


1 comment:

Mike said...

I'm up to 63 followers on FB. I'm sure there are a few that have me blocked, but not many. I have logons on Twitter, and others but only to be able to follow links. Blogger and FB are the only two I pay attention to.