Sunday, September 18, 2022

Sunday Morning

Our first week in Puerto Vallarta has been pretty uneventful--and that's not a bad thing.
We've managed well to stay cool in the tropical summer heat and humidity, and ventured out for some good local food and drinks. It's really just life in a different place with a different variety of food.
Because it is the rainy season, we've been getting pretty heavy rain showers every night. That, of course adds to the humidity every day.

Many of the local shops and restaurants are open, shaded, and with fans, but not air-conditioned. The bedrooms at the kids' place are air-conditioned, but not the living areas. I guess you just get used to sweating. It's not too bad and I believe I'd easily adapt to living here, but summer is pretty much my season. Besides, the current temperatures at home are actually higher than they are here.

I do miss the familiarity and comforts of our home and I know there are tasks that need to be accomplished there. In spite of it being Highlandville MO, it is home and I am getting used to the idea that Highlandville will be our home for the long haul.

I'm sitting here with my locally sourced coffee (nearby Nayarit) and, like most Sunday mornings, thinking about my relationship with God, nature, and my fellow human beings. I doubt that I'll have any more or any fewer opportunities to interact with people than if I were home. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying cool in the pool, enjoying some cerveza Mexicano, and a locally rolled cigar while reading a book. I suppose we'll venture out for dinner at some point and there will probably be people wherever we go, but that's the way of things.

Whether at home in Highlandville or here in Puerto Vallarta life is pretty simple and pretty good.

Btw, I need a good non-fiction book. I'm thinking something sort of spiritual, contemplative, humanity and God kind of stuff. I'm not really interested in somebody's ideas of heaven and hell or traditional religious bullshit. 
Any recommendations?

John

No comments: