Thursday, September 22, 2022

Equinox and Random Stuff

It's weird that while today is the first day of fall (Northern hemisphere), it also includes the last sunrise and sunset of summer for about 3/4ths of the US. Fall doesn't actually begin until just after 8 o'clock this evening (CDT).
I know there are plenty of you that will begin your fall celebrations early and break out the pumpkin spiced coffee, beer, whatever, but since the sun rises and sets during summer today, I am going to enjoy this final day of summer.

Random thoughts--

>While I do enjoy our home, the flower beds, and taking care of the lawn, there is something to be said for apartment/condo living and not needing to do any of that.
I'm currently on the front porch of the kids' place, here in Puerto Vallarta, overlooking a busy highway. Last night we were at a local brewery's trivia night, followed by a few hours at a karaoke bar. 
There was a lot of sound. I think the thing I miss the most about home is the quiet.
Not all of the noise is bad. The sound of the ocean when you're on or near the beach, the loud chatter of the parakeets in the trees, even the rooster across the street crowing throughout the day--those are good natural sounds that can soothe or energize the spirit. It's just that it is sometimes difficult to separate them from the cacaphony of unnatural sounds--cars, trucks, motorcycles, crowds of people, sounds from outdoor restaurants, etc.
Yeah, I miss the quiet. 

>I am a little curious about the faith practices in the area. I don't think I'm going to find much about it without actually making the effort to engage people in conversation about it. And I don't think that's a conversation you have with total strangers.
There seems to be a large community of US expats here. I suspect many of them enjoy the much less polarizing aspect of religion that I somewhat expect in the region. I'm not sure why I expect that. It just seems that people are more willing to allow others to believe what they want to believe and live as they choose to live.
We could use a little more of that attitude in the US.

Celebrate or mourn, it's the final day of summer!

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"We could use a little more of that attitude in the US."
Amen!