Monday, September 27, 2021

What Do You Love About...Us?

I started to write What Do You Love About America, but the truth is I don't want to encourage more nationalism. I was thinking about what divides us as a country and wanted to emphasize the things that unite us. 

Why stop at what unites us as a country, and still create barriers with people from other countries?

What do you love about humanity?
What do you love about your life?
What do you love about nature?
I have a feeling that we share much of what we truly love with people from all over the world.

It seems that we are always pointing out our differences -- Christian or non-Christian, American or non-American, black or white, rich or poor, etc., etc.

We sing a song at church that has the line, "When I look into the face of my enemy, I see my brother."
Why can't we look into the faces of refugees and see dads that want a better life for their kids?
Why can't we help the poor or unsheltered of our communities the way we would want to be treated ourselves or have our kids treated if they fell on difficult times?
Why do we see our desires as so important and yet minimize or ignore the desires and needs of others?
Hmmm...
I think I've just convinced myself that we aren't worth saving.

Is humanity worth loving?
                ...worth fighting for?
                ...worth saving?
We'd rather ignore science scientific research and kill our neighbors than admit we've followed lunatic, power hungry, oligarchs and politicians.
We'd rather call people names and be violent than reason or listen to reason.

I think we are self-centered spoiled brats that are genuinely undeserving of love or redemption.
Here's your chance to defend humankind.
Go ahead. 
Change my mind.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Nope.