Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Something New

I've been thinking about buying an inflatable kayak or stand up paddleboard for some time. After Chris and I rented a two person kayak to paddle on Lake Springfield a month ago, I saw a deal on a 2-pack of two person kayaks. The reviews said they weren't really well suited to two people, but worked well for one person. I figured I'd probably be by myself most of the time anyway and we could have separate kayaks if we went out together--so I ordered them.

When they arrived, I pulled one out of its box and inflated it to see how easy/hard it was going to be. It wasn't too bad. The hand pump that comes with it is small and takes a bit of work, but I have a larger capacity hand pump that I used yesterday at the lake. I didn't take any pics of it set for one person at the lake, but here it is set for two on my deck.


I did take a few pics while on the lake, but mostly just paddled up the James River a ways and then back. Since my mindset was I was doing it for exercise, I didn't really think about relaxing and just enjoying the day. I put on Pandora's Classic Rock Radio, turned up the volume, put my phone in the pocket of my life vest, and started paddling.

Getting used to the inflatable
It handles a bit differently. Since it rides higher than a traditional sit-in kayak, the bow moves back and forth a lot as you paddle. I found that shallow strokes worked better for holding a steady course and even pace.
It has a bulkier shape than a hard kayak and is truly built for recreation. I don't think I'd take on a rough course or even in a moderate current (if I needed to go upstream).
I think I'll use more air in the floor next time and see if it will make it a little stiffer. It could just be that my fat ass is always going put me at a low spot in an inflatable.
I found that getting into and out of it was a bit tricky--but that's mostly due to be fat and uncoordinated, not due to it being an inflatable. Hopefully the fat part will eventually change.

Overall, I liked it and hope to get plenty of use out of it. I'll need to learn to relax more and enjoy the scenery, maybe even bring a cigar for future outings. With just one person, there is plenty of room for a small cooler to pack a lunch and a few drinks. It's a little late in the year to expect many more outings before spring, but hopefully I'll manage a couple.

John



 

No comments: