Monday, September 13, 2021

Books

What are you reading?

My re-entry into the world of fiction has kept me pretty occupied. I have been making use of a couple of free e-book sites to get books for the kindle app on my phone and tablet. The free books also allow me to explore different genres without cost. I should also make use of the local library more often.

In non-fiction reads, I am currently reading The Templars by Dan Jones. It is a history of the Knights Templar and is pretty interesting. I'm only beginning it, but find the travel during the eleventh and twelfth centuries fascinating. Their sense of adventure and longing for knowledge and firsthand experience is pretty incredible.
It is also strange that the violence in the name of God had become normal, justifiable, and accepted, and it remains so today. Though these men set out to be protectors with monastic vows of poverty and humility, they ended up being powerful, rich, and largely unaccountable warriors that killed at their own discretion and felt justified in doing so.
I am just getting started in this book, but am looking forward to learning more.

I also ordered two books that weren't at our local library branch. These non-fiction recommendations came from our Associate Pastor.  Life Maps by Jim Fowler and Sam Keen and The Knowledge Machine by Michael Strevens. Hopefully I'll be finished with the Templar book by the time they come in.

My current fiction work is a fantasy series with dragons, witches, ogres, and fairies. It's different but light and easy to pick up for a few pages or a chapter and set back down. The previous crime thrillers I was reading were harder to put down. I've probably finished a dozen or so books in the past three or four weeks. That's quite a bit more reading than I normally do.

How about you?
What are you reading?

John



2 comments:

Mike said...

"My current fiction work is a fantasy series with dragons, witches, ogres, and fairies."
That probably wouldn't go over real well with the Baptists.

John A Hill said...

Mike- That wasn't much of a concern when I was a Baptist. Now it just makes me laugh.