Friday, September 24, 2021

Living for Eternity--No Thank-you.

I've decided that living for eternity is too hard.
Living in the moment takes both practice and purpose.
But living in the moment is both practical and doable.
Living for eternity is pointless and illogical.

For most of my life, religion has taught me to focus on eternity. The phrase "too heavenly minded to be of any earthly good" is what comes to mind. When Jesus said that he came so that we could have life and have it abundantly, I don't think he was talking about life after death. I really think he was talking about an abundant and meaningful, in-the-moment kind of existence.

Since abandoning the idea of having to spend this existence striving to earn a good next existence, I've become a much better person (at least I think so). I have also found more peace and joy in this life and have found a greater soul connection to other people, to the Universe in general, and to God.
Don't misunderstand me--I do believe that we are eternal beings and will live for eternity. It's just that if we are already living for eternity, why should that be our focus? Why not focus on the now? When eternity gets here (it never will) you will still be focusing on the moment at hand (the future now).

It's pretty strange how far from religion this former preacher has strayed. My 2020 theme was, "The farther I got from religion, the closer I got to God." 
Even though religion is supposed to connect us to God, it seems that anything in the hands of humankind will eventually be usurped and used by some people to gain control over other people. Doesn't that sound more like today's religion than something that leads us to God?

When it comes to living for eternity, my inclination is to say, "Dude, you are on your own!"
But I don't really believe that's true. I believe that's why we have Jesus and his teachings. It's also why we have the teachings from other good and sound minds throughout our human history. It's also why we have each other.
I'm not sure I can offer much help when it comes to living for eternity, but if you are interested in just living in the moment -- hit me up. Breakfast, lunch, coffee, beer, a little conversation and a good cigar, whatever -- we can share a moment and live it together. Why wait for eternity? Let's live now!

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

This post would have gotten you kicked out of the Baptists for sure.