Monday, January 20, 2014

Meatless Monday

Yeah, I know it's a little weird for a big ol' steak lovin', bacon eatin' boy to be thinking about going meatless, much less writing about it; but it's only for one day per week and I'm pretty sure it's not going to kill me. As a matter of fact, the whole idea is that it will help me to live a longer and healthier life.

According to all of the different recommendations for daily meat and/or protein consumption, even with skipping a day, I far exceed any weekly totals. I don't exceed them by as much as I used to, but it's safe to say that I'm not in any danger of protein starvation.

If it weren't for the simple fact that I really love meat, I don't think that I would have too much difficulty in switching to a vegetarian diet. I doubt that I would go full on vegan, so I would still have dairy products as a protein source. My simple refrigerator oatmeal (this morning's variety: oats, Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, peanut butter, a little protein powder, cinnamon, milk) already provided a third of the RDA of protein for men. Even if the rest of today's diet included no more protein, I'm pretty certain that I'd be okay.

In addition to my "meatless Mondays," I've also cut back on the amount of meats (especially red meats) that I eat during the week. Yesterday I had pork (probably enough for two days), Saturday an average size serving of chicken, Friday was salmon...anyways, you get the idea. A little variety, some good seasoning, and enough to satisfy without over doing it.

Even though I still think that the recommended meat portions are incredibly small, I am feeling satisfied with them as I increase the amounts of vegetables and fruits that I eat.

It's time to get the day going. Exercise first, then visit with a friend having surgery before I start my ATC day.

Be well!
John <><

No comments: