Tuesday, January 07, 2014

First Week: How'd it go?

Today is the final day of the first week of 2014.
So how are those New Year's resolutions coming?
I didn't really make any resolutions, but there are those things that I want to continue doing or need to do better.

It's pretty tough to fall behind on daily Bible reading in just six days, so I'm still doing okay. Last year's plan found me behind and playing catch up several times, but I managed to finish on schedule. I'm not one to promote reading through the Bible in a year(although I have). I do believe that every believer needs to have a plan to read a little every day. Last year I read through the New Testament plus read a few other short term plans.
This year's plan is to read through the Old Testament. I'll add a read through the gospels plan at some point and will probably include some other short term plans as well.

Exercise is going okay, although I haven't been working the weight machine like I want. It's just been too cold in the unheated garage. I am including some body weight exercises along with the walking (have done that down to 12F or -11C) and indoor cycling.

I'm really paying more attention to the food I'm eating and stuff I'm drinking. I'm trying to learn how different foods affect me as far as energy, sleep, weight, mood, etc. I've been reading about chronic inflammation and how it affects our health and the foods that cause the inflammation. It's pretty amazing how so much of our well being begins in our gut. I'm going to limit my coffee a little more and drink more tea, especially green teas and other herbal blends. Oh, and plenty of water, too.

I'm back on the right path to weight loss and have dropped the couple of pounds that I gained in the last few months of '13. I'm still looking for a slow 20 pound loss. If I can manage to lose 20 lbs by the 1st of June, that will make minus 52 lbs in 52 wks. I think that regular sleep will continue to be the biggest health challenge in this year, as well.

I'm still working on being a better John for 2014. Diet, exercise, spiritual growth are easy compared to being less critical, more forgiving and more compassionate.

It's one day at a time; really, it's just moment by moment. One week is in the books--well, almost.

How has your first week of 2014 been?

John <><

No comments: