Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Thinking Ahead

It's truly not often that I plan ahead. I'm more of a fly by the seat of your pants, go with the flow kind of guy. That said, I've been considering the whole New Year's Resolution thing.

New Year's resolutions have never been a very big thing for me, even less of a thing as I've grown older. I do see the value in re-evaluating life and making course corrections now and then, but maybe it just seems too forced or too routine to make it on January first to be of much value. I don't need a calendar to tell me that I need to be eating less and exercising more. 
Turning the calendar page from one year to the next certainly makes the case for making new beginnings or new habits, but is it really that big of a deal?

I'm thinking of something much smaller for the coming year; something less intimidating and more manageable.
I think I'll work with a New Day's resolution -- making a plan for each day as it comes. It will kind of combine my go with the flow personality with the big thing of a New Year's resolution and work it into something more manageable. 
And I don't have to wait for a certain date on the calendar! I can make a simple resolution with each day's rising sun.   
I'm going to make today's New Day resolution simple -- 20 minutes on the exercise cycle and a walk to get the mail (1/4 mile).
I also need to spend some time reading my library book -- Pastrix, by Nadia Bolz-Weber. Sometimes I get caught up in a fiction book and set aside the non-fiction stuff.

That's it!
A little exercise
A little reading
I might even do them at the same time!

How do you handle the resolution thing?
A plan for the year?
Day by day?
Don't do resolutions?

John

1 comment:

Infidel753 said...

I used to do new year's resolutions, but they never helped much. It felt too phony, basing them on an arbitrary point on the calendar. I'm not good at tricking myself.