Sunday, November 15, 2020

Earworm

I was contemplating what to write about this morning and considering how small the pandemic has made my world. It's a Small World popped into my head for a moment and kind of made me chuckle. I'm not one to generally get a song stuck in my head, but Chris is. She listens to music often and has a bunch of old songs drifting around in her head. Mentioning a lyric from one of those songs or singing a line or two can bring it to the forefront of her mind and it quickly becomes the dreaded earworm.

"Why do you do this to me?" seems to be a familiar lament from her.
Occasionally I'll hit on a song that she likes and doesn't mind for the first couple of times through, but then she's ready to move on -- and can't.

Are you one of those people that are susceptible to the dreaded earworm?
Are there songs that regularly get stuck in your head?
Listening to music seems to help in getting rid of stubborn songs, but some have a way of quietly creeping back into your thoughts, don't they?

What are the songs that you know are going to be stuck in your head for a time? The moment you hear the first line you think, "Oh crap! Now I'm going to be singing this all day!"

I guess I'll have to write about that small world thing another day.

John 

1 comment:

Mike said...

They say the trick to get it out is to sing a few lines out loud. Then it will go away.

But no, I'm not one of those people that that happens to.