Monday, June 15, 2020

Another Journey Around the Sun

It's  Monday, June 15th and the third day of my 61st trip around the sun. This venture begins in the same manner the last one ended -- in a type of self imposed isolation. I say it is self imposed because Missouri was one of the last states to impose any statewide restrictions on social gatherings due to coronavirus and one of the first to lift them. For many of the residents of Southwest MO, life is pretty much back to normal.

Not surprisingly, Missouri is also one of 24 states (yes, nearly half of the states) that is showing an upward trend of new COVID19 cases according to this article in Fortune
I believe that this is the first day of Missouri's final phase of returning to pre-coronavirus standards.

We are not yet ready to venture into public gatherings, especially since so many Southwest Missourians pay no attention to social distancing or simple prevention methods such as wearing masks. It doesn't bother me to stay at home, but I think the isolation is beginning to wear on Chris.
I do have some feelings (guilt) about our lack of involvement in the volunteer activities that we were participating in. I'm also feeling a little guilt about how easily I could continue on in this isolation.

In any case, this next year should be an interesting one.
No mail in voting in Missouri (surprise, surprise!), so I'll see you at the polls if not before.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

The mail-in voting we do have is a bigger pain than going to the polls.

"I'm also feeling a little guilt about how easily I could continue on in this isolation." No, you're not. Neither am I.

Here's an idea. Let's get together at one of the most crowded places in South St. Louis. How do you think 6-foot distancing will work there? Let's find out! See you Wednesday? If protests are worth the risk, you know Ted Drews is.