Monday, March 03, 2014

It's March!

Wow! How did it get to be March already? The year 2014 is one sixth over and it will soon be Spring!

So many people have commented and asked about my weight loss that I thought I'd share a few things about it here on Out of My Hat.

Before I really begin, I need to say that I am a subscriber to the theory of eat for weight management; exercise for health. I know that there is a correlation between activity and weight loss, but principally, you manage weight by what you eat.

Also, I no longer believe that calories in vs. calories out is a good way to manage weight. Not all calories are considered equal. By understanding how different foods affect my systems, I am better able to manage weight loss. By eating better foods, I am able to manage hunger and therefore eat less.

Since I am far from an expert on such things, I'll just give a few of the things that have worked for me. The biggest thing was to try to limit the amount of chemical crap that I ingest. For the most part, that meant cutting out all processed foods--and drinks. I cut out the diet soda and drink mostly water, coffee or freshly brewed tea. I eat very little bread, pasta or prepared foods. Other than cereals (which I don't eat a lot of), there are few boxed foods in our pantry.

Also, in the past nine months, I've only been to a fast food restaurant a handful of times--and even with those few times, I am much more aware of the crap that I'm eating and so I eat less of it or make the best choices available.

I'll admit, breaking old, destructive habits isn't easy. I was recently asked what it was that finally got me started on the weight loss and healthy lifestyle. My answer was that it was time. I knew what needed to be done but I just had to settle it in my head that I was going to do it. Switching out diet sodas for water was probably one of the biggest things--and that's not even a calorie saving choice! Little steps, simple choices; they add up.

I'll share more in the future; some about what works for me, some about the science I've learned, some about the little bit of exercise that I'm doing.
I suppose I should also share the benefits I'm reaping from a healthier lifestyle.

Live healthy.
Be well.

John <><

No comments: