Sunday, March 23, 2014

Fats: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

One of the many things that I'm learning is that all fats are not the same...and not all fats are bad for you. As a matter of fact, good fats are essential for--get this--weight loss!

One of the many food industry lies that we've been told over the years is that poly-unsaturated vegetable oils are better for us than saturated animal fats.

WRONG!

If you stop and think that we are animals and primarily produce saturated fats and mono-unsaturated fats (about 97% of our fat with only about 3% being poly-unsaturated), it would make sense that we would best metabolize the same and better use the building blocks from the types of fats that we produce. It turns out that the great influx of omega 6 fatty acids (read vegetable oils) is a big player in the fattening of America. Plant based saturated fats like coconut oil and palm oil, mono-unsaturated fats like olive oil, and animal fats like butter, tallow and lard, are actually better choices!

Good fats are necessary for our bodies to produce the hormones that help to regulate all of our bodily functions--including the storing and burning of fat energy! If we don't feed our bodies the good stuff, our bodies tend to under produce or poorly produce the hormones that we need.

Also, as we age, our bodies produce less of (or stop producing) some of the hormones that we need to keep burning fat as an energy source--namely testosterone and estrogen. Hormone production is a big player in weight loss and weight gain! Although I started with a prescription testosterone therapy, I now use an over-the-counter supplement. Combined with the better diet and better dietary fats, I really believe that it has been a key factor in my weight loss.

If you are around 50 (for men) or post-menopausal (for women), I'd recommend being checked to see how much hormone therapy might be necessary to help you on your way.

Another factor in proper weight management hormone production is getting enough sleep!
For the past eight or nine months, I've been trying to get more sleep. While there are still plenty of days that I run on four and a half (and some on three) hours of sleep (with the occasional power nap), I'm trying to manage six or more hours as often as I can. I'm pretty sure this has also had a positive effect on the weight loss.

As always, I wouldn't take any of what I have to say as any kind of health advice. It's just what I have found works for me.

John <><


3 comments:

Mike said...

Good info!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Excellent facts to share. Thanks, John and best wishes with your weight program.

Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information. Before I was on a Mayo Clinic diet and seen a bacon as a breakfast meal. I was like.. "what?". Then I realized that it's okay to eat bacon since my trainer says fats burn fats and fats from bacon is good along with exercise.

I also have a blog, please check it
HERE
if you like.