Friday, August 09, 2024

I think this is Friday -- right?

It has been quite a week!
Once again, early retirement has afforded me the opportunity to be able to take care of the unexpected on pretty short notice. This particular trip had some unexpected side benefits.

I got to have dinner with one of my cousins and her spouse and express my gratitude to them for always being available to help my mom and for truly loving her. The dinner, the conversation, and just being in their presence was so very uplifting to my spirit.

Another perk of the quick trip to Central Illinois was meeting with a couple of life-long friends.
It is unbelievable that a little kid somehow had the wisdom to forge friendships with these two other boys that would grow into the men that are my friends today -- men that are good persons and so incredibly rare in my small world today.
Though our life paths have been vastly different and separated me from them for a long time, their character and moral fiber makes me proud to be numbered among their friends. They give me hope in humanity and remind me that there are men of character and integrity in a world that seems to value boisterous, toxic masculinity more than the strong, quiet, intelligent and loving men that my friends are.
I will be riding this spiritual lift for some time and being more purposeful about planning another time to experience their presence and positive life energy.

Do you have those people in your life?
I hope you do.

It is good to be home this morning. I am feeling well rested after an exceptionally long sleep in my own bed last night -- 9 hours!
It is going to be a beautiful day here in the Ozarks. I may not do anything at all -- other than enjoy a cigar and a margarita while sitting alone on the deck.
I know -- it's just another day in the life of John.

John
#retirementdoesnotsuck

1 comment:

Mike said...

It's Saturday you goof. Just like tomorrow.