Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Let's Move Forward

I haven't posted here recently and I need to get back some regular writing. I've been posting daily on my other blog. Those daily posts have been to keep myself accountable and stick with daily walking, exercise and now back to healthier eating.

I haven't posted about the COVID-19 precautions or how they have affected daily living. In truth, they have had minimal impact on me, personally. I generally keep to myself, I have a good retirement income, and I am now in our new home which gives me plenty to do.
The greatest impact has been in not being able to do the volunteer work that we had been enjoying. Even as Missouri begins to open up this weekend, we will continue with our masks in public and social distancing standards. Age, asthma, and common sense will guide us as we listen to health experts rather than economists, politicians, and well meaning, but self-serving Facebook friends.

Okay -- so I realize that well meaning and self-serving don't go together, but I'm trying to be kind. It's been insinuated (perhaps correctly) that I'm not always as upright as I'd like to be.
sigh
I'm still working on it.

In any case, as Missouri and other states begin to roll back restrictions, let's not pretend that things should go back to the way they were. We are better than that. We should learn much from our experience. Working from home should be more of an option for many people. Value should be recognized in many workers that were taken for granted or looked down on. We should respect other's desire to remain distant and not engage in social customs of handshakes or hugs. And we should recognize that there are multitudes of people that live in the isolation that we have found to be oppressive and undesirable.
Here's a screenshot I captured from a friend's post



Let's be better than we were.

John

No comments: