Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Happy Earth Day from Highlandville MO!

This is my first Out of My Hat post from the screened in porch of our new home and a fine way to celebrate Earth Day 2020. It's a little cool this morning but not uncomfortable in sweatpants and a heavy sweater. I have my coffee (an Ethiopian blend) and am listening to the birds as the day begins.

There is plenty to do to get unpacked and settled into our place so tending to the earth with planting some trees, flowers, and a vegetable garden will have to wait. The land is a natural Midwest pasture and doesn't have a single tree on it. I hope to plant a few fruit trees, maybe a couple of Missouri pecan trees, and probably some evergreens in the way of a windbreak on the west side.
I do want to be a good steward of the land.

But first -- we have to get settled in and that will take some time.
I look forward to beginning many days with a cup (or two) of coffee on the deck, listening to the sounds of nature.
And I look forward to ending many days sitting here and enjoying the night sounds while smoking a cigar and sipping a good whiskey.

Happy Earth Day!
Take good care of her.
This planet is our home.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Don't plant things so close together that you can't drive your mower between them.