Thursday, November 12, 2015

Alone; not lonely

Today's Thursdays are for Thanksgiving post might seem a little odd. It's probably not so odd that I might be thankful for alone time -- many people probably long for some time alone. I have lots of alone time. I'm almost always alone. And I really do like it that way.

I like that I have only me to be concerned with most of the time. I like not having to worry about how someone else feels about -- well, pretty much anything all day long.

I am fine with long drives -- alone.
I am fine with long walks -- alone.
I am fine with watching a ballgame -- alone.
I am even fine with going out to eat -- alone.

I know that there are plenty of people that live in loneliness and always feel alone, even when they are in a group of other people. Because of my family and (few) friends, I never really feel lonely. I don't have feelings that nobody loves me or suffer any kind of loneliness related depression.

It is true that technology helps keep me connected -- even when I am alone. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. It may add to some people's isolation rather than connecting them to others. Maybe it does that for me, too. I don't think so.

I've said that there are plenty of days when the only other person that I talk to is Chris -- and I'm okay with that. Yesterday I had interactions with a few other people -- a hostess and waitress at a restaurant (dinner with Chris), a grocery store clerk (errands with Chris) and I met a neighbor while walking.
However I also sent a couple of texts to wish a Happy Veteran's day to friends and posted or commented on Facebook or other social media to other friends. Maybe that sounds a little pathetic when it comes to personal interaction, but I'm okay with that.

Maybe, given that I am alone most of the time, I should just be thankful that I am okay with that.

Yeah, I know -- it's weird.
But it's real.
And it's me.

John <><

4 comments:

Mike said...

 

John A Hill said...

I'm guessing there was supposed to be a comment, unless you were just trying to make me feel lonely.

allenwoodhaven said...

John, I think you're right. Mike did that on purpose. I wouldn't have thought of it but I can easily see Mike coming up with it.

Your viewpoint is perfectly understandable. Time alone (but not being lonely) is an important part of a healthy life.
And, as you know, being comfortable with that is very beneficial.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Being alone and feeling lonesome are different things. I hope you won't feel lonesome. You're a great internet friend.