Saturday, June 27, 2015

Interesting Opportunities

I know that my simple views are often a cause for concern among many of my more conservative friends.
With that in mind, I'll not debate the recent Supreme Court rulings on this forum. As a matter of fact, I avoid talking about them in the manner that most wish to discuss them, altogether.

Last night, an interesting opportunity presented itself. This is how I handled the conversation.
The conversation began with a query of what I thought of the Court's ruling that now men can marry men and how homosexuality is condemned in the Bible.
I very quickly moved the conversation from their sin and the condemnation of their way of life to their need for Salvation in Jesus. Their way of living is no more abhorrent to God than our way of living. They are not condemned because they are homosexual. They are condemned because they are sinners -- as we are.

I was able to share my belief that we all need the salvation that is provided in Jesus only.
I was able to share that we are all tasked to tell the story of God's great love for us and how Jesus died for our sin and for the sin of others.
I was able to share that Jesus didn't come to condemn the world; that the world is already condemned.
I was able to share that Jesus came to save the world.

Every once in a while, the conversation would drift back to SCOTUS decision and I did share my views on the decision, but for the most part, I was able to keep the conversation on our (humankind's) need for a Savior.

It was a an interesting evening and there were many questions about Old Testament law, the authenticity of the gospels, the philosophies of other belief systems, different sexual sins and sin in general, etc.

I believe that if we can set aside the merits or failings of the SCOTUS decision and stick to the task given to us by our Lord -- to make disciples -- we can effectively communicate the gospel of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus.

John <><

No comments: