Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Goodbyes...again.

Last Friday was our long awaited retirement party.

I have to say that I had a pretty good time and enjoyed seeing people from the distant past as well as the recent past. I received some calls and texts from people that couldn't make it and was surprised by some of the comments that I heard.

Here is a post that I wrote last fall. While I suppose that it is mostly true, it has been nice to see that there are a few people that genuinely seem to miss having me around (at least some of the time).

Today I would say that it is a humbling experience to know that the little things that we say and do can make lasting impressions on people. For a guy that isn't always in control of his emotions or mouth, it is also a little frightening. I have been fortunate that the people that I may have hurt or been unkind toward have not contacted me with their comments. It is difficult to do more than regret those moments and vow to do better in the future. Unkind words cannot be unsaid.

So the recent experiences and re-reading that old post has reminded me to take the time to express appreciation as the opportunity arises. I'll be more purposeful about telling people how they have made positive impacts on me and the other people they engage on a regular basis.

Say good and encouraging things often. Tell others when they are doing well. Encourage one another often.
There are no regrets for a life well lived.

Live well,
John <><

1 comment:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That is so true, John Hill! Time encouraging others is time well spent and is closer to godliness.