Thursday, July 23, 2026

War Crimes

War crimes are such a weird concept to me.
War itself is such a violent act against humanity that defining some parts of war as criminal and other parts as acceptable is just mind blowing.

Way back in the mid 60s when Star Trek was introducing some pretty progressive ideas by imagining a future world, there was an episode where two neighboring planets had been at war with each other for centuries, but they had cleaned things up by using computers to determine the number of casualties in an attack and those people would then voluntarily report to death chambers. 
The war went on, but there was no physical destruction of property, no rebuilding, no damaged infrastructure.
You can read about it here.

Don't we do the same sort of thing when we say we are at war, but certain civilian areas can't be attacked?
Don't we take away a reason for negotiating an end to that war?
Instead of putting an end to killing, we make rules around acceptable killing. 
We demand humane treatment of prisoners of war when war itself is an inhumane act.

I agree that the bombing of civilians and civilian targets is wrong. But I also happen to think that bombing another country because we have a dementia ridden, psychopathic, rapist, narcissistic pedophile as a president is wrong. 
Every part of this war (yes, it's a war) is criminal, and yes, I believe that both Trump and Netanyahu should be held responsible on an international scale.

I'm venting here because I can. It's difficult to have a solution to a war that never should have been started in the first place. There was nothing to win and everything to lose -- which we already have lost.
Sometimes the first step out of the hole you're in is to stop digging. 

I do love where I live, but there are times when I am ashamed of the things my country is doing. This is one of those times, and ashamed is an understatement. I am angry that we are killing and being killed to satisfy a demented president's ego.

John

No comments: