Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Fat Tuesday and Lent

Today is Mardi Gras -- Fat Tuesday, the day of gluttony and debauchery before the solemn season of Lent.
To be honest, I've never really understood either.

To the sections of Christianity that observe Lent, the fasting and other acts of suffering/hardship they put themselves through are supposed to help them to identify with the suffering of Jesus as he fasted for forty days and nights in the wilderness. I guess identifying with Jesus in his suffering is supposed to help us understand the crucifixion better as we approach Easter.
However, I don't believe there is a sect of Christianity today that takes fasting very seriously. The Muslim practice of daily fasting during Ramadan seriously puts any idea of Christian fasting to shame.
The cleansing ritual of fasting is nonexistent in our Western culture today.

Having said that, I do believe that finding ways to better identify with Jesus is an important part of living life as a follower of Jesus. I'm just not sure why we've decided that identifying with his suffering is better than identifying with his acts of mercy and love.
What if those forty days in the wilderness were his way of identifying with our humanity? 
It would seem a little ridiculous for us to use fasting to attempt to identify with his divinity.

I'm going to think on this for today and tomorrow (Ash Wednesday).
How (during Lent) can I best connect with Jesus?
Any advice from my Lenten observing friends?
What are you doing?

John

No comments: