Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Storytime with Pastor John

Over the past couple of decades I've served as camp pastor, bible study leader, guest speaker, or entertainer at kids' camps and youth camps throughout the state. I generally referred to my message time as Storytime with Pastor John.

I'm not sure if I adapted my normal preaching style to kids or my camp style to pulpit preaching, but they've ended up being pretty much the same. In any case, that particular style of preaching/teaching is quite far from the preaching and teaching at The Venues...so I'm a little anxious about filling in for Pastor Ben at barchurch this coming Thursday night.

The current series is Lose Yourself to Find Yourself and the key scripture is from John's gospel.



I'm going to go a little different direction from Pastor Ben's mindful messages on the false self, the true self, and the non-self. This won't be so much about surrendering our will to find the Spirit, but about protecting the will of the Spirit by guarding against the voices that try to direct us away from God's love and our place in God's kingdom.

I thought about a delivery that is more in line with the norm for The Venues, but in a way that might be counter to the message itself. I'm good with growing and evolving as a preacher/teacher, and it may be that I'll need to in order to teach at The Venues in the future. 
If you're up for it, check out The Venues at 425 on Facebook. We'll be live with music at 6:30pm Thursday. Storytime begins around 7.

John

No comments: