Saturday, August 17, 2019

Life Without Baseball

A few weeks ago, Fox Sports Midwest and Sling TV failed to reach an agreement so my TV provider no longer carries the St Louis Cardinals' games, nor will it carry the St Louis Blues when hockey season begins. I could subscribe to MLB.tv to watch baseball or to an app that will allow me to watch the Blues play this winter. I haven't yet, but I could.

Actually, it hasn't been too bad. I did watch one game on my computer from a sports streaming site. I've listened to a few games on the radio. Mostly I've just kept up with the game progress through the ESPN app and watched game highlights later. In the end, the success or failure of the Cardinals doesn't have much of an impact on my life.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they are in first place in the division and would be thrilled with another World Series Championship. Having dual champs (hockey and baseball) in St Louis in 2019 would be awesome. But with or without the wins, life goes on.

And I've really become more of an MMA fight fan in recent years. Given the choice of watching the game and checking on the fights tonight or watching the fights and checking on the game -- I'll be watching the fights. It's a great fight card and I'm really looking forward to some of the match ups.
I don't know if it's a plus or a minus, but fighting doesn't have a season. It's a year round sport and you can watch it pretty much every weekend. Fighters at the highest levels make some good money and it has become a big business.

In any case, not watching baseball hasn't hurt me. I guess the big businesses can fight over their dollars and contracts without counting on me to support them. I'll find a movie, an old fight night, or read a book. Football season is about to begin and there is another huge fan base to appeal to. It's funny how much time and money we are willing to invest to watch other people live their dreams.
Sports are big business.

The Cardinals have 42 regular season games left, plus the post season. I'm sure that I'll watch a few of them and continue some of the teasing with friends that cheer for other teams.
But not tonight.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

I gave up on watching the Cardinals on TV years ago. My son had Sling for a while just for the games. No reason to keep it anymore.