Monday, December 14, 2015

It's Magic!

Tonight is a pretty quiet night in the Ozark Hill home. I've been struggling with allergies and congestion for several days now. I think much of it can be attributed to warm December weather, hours of raking and burning leaves and gusting winds that have stirred up junk in the atmosphere.

Enough about my woes. No one wants to hear about that anyways.

One of the things that I have been doing lately is watching some magic videos. I have quite a library of instructional videos that teach many types of close up and stand up magic effects. Although I have always been fond of close up magic, I have rarely practiced it much because I haven't had a venue to perform this particularly challenging type of magic.

Now that I have the time to practice, perhaps I will develop a close up program and begin to look for a venue in which I might perform. I don't see myself hustling tips as a street magician, but perhaps I can find some suitable place to play and take on a new persona.

When I first started using magic as ministry, I went to work part-time at the magic shop at Silver Dollar City in Branson MO. I knew that they had a little 15-20 minute magic show every hour or so and I wanted to practice performing before an audience. Later, I worked (part-time, again) at a different magic shop in Branson. Working in a magic shop is fun. It is too bad that there is no longer a shop in Springfield. Can you think of a better place to have access to the newest effects and have the opportunity to practice and demonstrate effects for fun and sales?

I kind of wish I had a magic coach; a teacher that is more skilled in the art than I am that could serve as a mentor. Perhaps, in time.
For now, I'll get busy with the library of videos and books and see what I can develop.

It takes A LOT of practice.

I think it was Houdini that said --
You must practice until what is hard becomes easy; until what is easy becomes second nature and until what has become natural becomes magical.

It's a good thing I have a lot of time!

John <><

No comments: