Monday, August 24, 2026

Fall Gardening

It's about that time.
It is at least time to begin thinking about how I am going to approach re-working my fence line flowerbed. 
After learning (the hard way) that I replanted my irises wrong last fall, I am going to have to dig the road side of the fence up and replant them correctly. Even though they didn't produce flowers this year, they did multiply greatly. I will have an abundance of tubers to share if you are in the area and want some.

For the house side of the fence, I think I will try solarizing the bed to kill off the weeds that grew this year, as I neglected to keep up with it. 
My plan is to solarize this fall, cardboard and compost in March, sow zinnias in April.

My front yard bed is going to need some work also. 
I have a large Rugosa rose bush that needs to come out. I'm afraid the runners it leaves behind will be a nuisance for a long time. I think I will try to find a way to contain it and replant it where its thorny stems won't pose a problem and it can thrive. The flowers have a very pleasant aroma and other than its aggressive spreading, I really do like it.
I expect I could have a few plants available if anyone wants one. Just be aware -- it is an aggressive spreader and the runners can tunnel quite a distance before popping up unexpectedly (ask me how I know)!

I will wait until spring to thin my hostas, but should have some available. Maybe I need to get a boot at a local farmer's market and sell some plants. 
Ha! that sounds too much like a job! I'd much rather just share them with friends.

I'm going to save some seed pods from the moon flowers, but I haven't decided on where I want to plant them. I'm thinking about the backyard flowerbed so that I can enjoy them from the deck where I spend most evenings.

It will be a lot of work. 
However, I have found that gardening produces patience. So much of gardening is work now, reward later -- and often it's much later.

Today is going to be cooler with occasional rain, so I probably won't get much outside work done today. The thunder has been rolling through the clouds as I drink my coffee and plan the upcoming project. It is hard to believe that this week is already the end of August. 

Where has summer gone?
sigh

John

No comments: