I am not much of a tech guy, but I have recently upgraded in a couple of areas. I have been used to owning the cheapest available cell phone and that has worked out well since even the cheap smart phones are smarter than I am. A recent switch in providers netted me an upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy 26+ that I am certain to under utilize.
One feature I have recently discovered tracks my daily screen time.
Damn. I use it much more than I thought I did.
I guess it is a nice-to-know kind of thing and I am going to have to pay closer attention to how I am using my time. I do spend time with several games -- Star Battle, Arrows, and a few of the NYT games.
I'd like to be able to claim that my time is spent reading on the Kindle app (and some of it is), but most of my reading is actually done on my Kindle paperwhite.
The tracking shows which apps are the great time suckers and while I do spend time reading worthwhile articles, I am also wasting plenty of time with nonsense.
Sacrebleu!
I've also just added a smartwatch to my tech stuff. I know I am late to the party and even feel that my Fitbit Versa 4 is an older, scaled down model to what is actually available in the smartwatch market. However, it was something I could get through my Medicare Advantage plan and didn't actually cost me anything. I've had a couple of cheap versions in the past, but this is definitely more functional than my previous smart watches.
I am still figuring it out, getting it set-up, and trying to decide if I really want a watch that tells me I'm fat and lazy and need to get up and move my ass.
Technology!
My watch talks to my phone.
My phone talks to my truck.
I can stream Netflix to my phone, Chromebook, or TV.
Meta, Google, and Amazon sell my travel, shopping, and browsing data to the world.
And the centers that store and broker all of that data are using up resources and destroying the earth.
Technology!
It's a wonderful thing
...until it isn't.
It is definitely something to be monitored.
John
Saturday, August 08, 2026
Saturday
Labels:
technology
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment