Friday, August 28, 2026

Getting the bug or just getting bugged?

Every now and then I get the bug to renew my old habit of doing magic. 
The problem is that I would have to re-invent myself as a magician since I would no longer be doing church programs and I really have no idea how to go about getting regular stand-up gigs.

Close up magic as always been my favorite genre to watch, but I never really practiced it much because that wasn't the magic I performed and it takes a great deal of practice to make it look -- well, magical.

The process is:
Practice until what is difficult becomes easy
              until what is easy becomes second nature (natural)
              until what is natural becomes magical

Done right, it is so much more than doing tricks. It's performing an art, exhibiting a craft, providing entertainment and escape for an audience. Being a good magician isn't something you do. It is someone you are. And while I love the wonder and enjoyment that magic creates, I'm really not certain that I want to spend the time and energy (and money $$) to work on something that few people would ever get to see or appreciate. 

Work on the old stuff and find new gigs?
Work on new stuff and find new gigs?
Work on stuff for personal enjoyment until the itch is satisfied and move on?
Find another shiny thing to distract me from the pull of an old habit?

Magus, mage (plural magi)  -- Priests of the ancient Persians.

Today we would call them magicians, sorcerers, or wise men. 
Maybe I should skip the magic stuff and just work on the part of being a wise man. 

John

No comments: