Friday, April 19, 2024

¡Hasta luego, México!

I didn't expect to be writing this morning, but I'm up early on our last full day in Mexico. We still have a party to go to tonight and then tomorrow is a travel day as we head back to the states.

I've said it before --
There is something peaceful about life in Mexico. There is a much greater sense of community and so much less competitiveness in daily life. There is capitalism, to be sure, but on a different scale than in the US and taking care of one another is more of a priority.
At least, that's the way it appears from my perspective.

I'm certain that I could adapt to this more simple (but perhaps, more difficult) way of life here. I would miss many of the creature comforts that I've gotten used to. There are always trade-offs.

As it is...
I'll return to my comfortable, privileged life in Southwest MO. 
I'll mow my large yard on a street with similar homes and acreage. Afterwards I'll sip a cold iced tea made from tap water drawn from a deep, clean well.
I'll go to occasional baseball games, stream TV with pretty reliable and affordable internet access, drive one of multiple vehicles when I need to go someplace, and occasionally meet someone for lunch, drinks, music, conversation, or something else.
I have a good life.

The trip has been a good one.
We met some new people.
We saw the total eclipse in Mazatlan and enjoyed our time there.
We have had a great time with the kids here in Puerto Vallarta.
We have enjoyed having my mom with us for this trip so that she could see the kids' new place.
We have eaten a ton of good food and managed a good bit of walking and activity while doing it.

But...
I have a yard, flower beds, and a garden to take care of.
And we have our own community of sorts. That also needs to be taken care of.
One of the nicer things about Mexico -- it's here, and I'll be back.

John

No comments: