Friday, October 23, 2020

Morning After Reflections

It's early on Friday morning and I've been reflecting on last night's message. Admittedly, I'm probably my own worst critic. I know that I was never a very typical Baptist preacher, but at The Venues I feel very much like a Baptist preacher.
I am always impressed by the teaching of Pastors Phillip and Ben. I know the time that they put into their messages -- both in biblical study and in searching for contemporary quotes, memes, writings, and applications.

I just tell stories.

And I would probably rather tell you a story or just have a one on one conversation than a one-sided monolog to a group. There is no timely feedback when preaching - no questions, no clarifications, and often times there isn't even the ability to see facial expressions or postures due to lighting. I worry about clearly communicating my thoughts and feelings. Maybe I should use more notes to help me stay on course. 

I greatly appreciate the after message feedback from my Venues people -- more so than I have from church people in the past. There seems to be a more genuine attitude at barchurch where people feel like they can be themselves and free from judgment.
In the end, I think I'll accept that and rest ... until called on again.

Be well.
Tell your story.
Demonstrate your faith.
Share God's love.

John 

No comments: